Wednesday, December 7, 2011

LOOK AWAY!

We've all done it,  looked at the car crash while passing by or just simply looked when you were told to look away. I made the mistake of watching a laparoscopic oophorectomy on line- (a similar surgery that I will have done in 2 1/2 weeks). Who does that -right? Let me explain.  My dear husband was asking questions about my recovery while I found it perfectly fine to wait and ask my surgeon in 3 days during my pre-op appointment.  Aiming to please and understanding his concern I jumped on line like we all do to get our questions answered.  While scrolling through all the information I came to a camera button, hesitated and clicked on it. Before I knew it I was watching the lazer cut away. Yikes- it took my breath away as interesting as it actually was.
My advise-which does seem like a no brainer, don't watch your surgery online before you have it done. We live in a society with so much information at hand given the current technology. We go to the doctor having already diagnosed our self , accurate or not.  Simply, there are just certain things we don't need to know. Trust the process, right down questions that may pop in your head in the week following your pre-op appointment with your surgen so you feel fully informed.
 Ya...some things are better left unknown no matter how concerned loved ones may be. :)

1 comment:

  1. I would have sauntered into an OR to watch, not stopped short of the internet, myself. I don't blame you a bit for hitting the play button! To me knowledge is power and the better armed I am, the more comfortable I am. Although it may seem macabre to view the procedure ahead of time, you now have very little room for the very powerful imagination to color your fears. Regardless, you are such a strong little half-pint of a woman and that alone should calm and reassure you.
    xoxox-Doyle

    ReplyDelete