Thursday, January 19, 2012

East and West-Rest is Best

I am a fan of both Eastern and Western medicine and feel there is definitely a place for both in America.  With that said, about 2 1/2 weeks post surgery I visited my ayurvedic/energetic/chiropractic doctor. She reminded me of the stress that a body goes through when having a surgery and how anesthesia can stay in the body weeks after possibly giving me the symptoms I am feeling.  She adjusted me, cleared me and reminded me to rest and honor the healing. I had the worst migraines and felt exhausted for the next 2 days after her treatment but have not had a headache since.  
I saw my surgeon 3 weeks post surgery.  She said my incisions looked good and I am right on track with my healing.  She said that my "brain fuzz", which by the way comes now twice a week or less, is because of exhaustion.  Ask any new mom and they can relate to the loss of thoughts or like me forgetting where the button is on the TV to turn it on.  She said even though I might be sleeping well at night, my body has been through a lot and needs more rest.  Ok- so maybe the light jog I went on last week should have been a walk (or a nap). Oh well- lesson learned.  When a doctor says you can resume "normal" activities, you must remember "normal" is subjective to each any every person.  In the end what I learned from both doctors is that I need to slow down and be patient with the healing.  I won't resume my "normal" activities of kick boxing, running, and swim training. I am taking it easy these days and find walking and just being a mom to a 3 and 5 year old enough movement and energy for me and when I'm really being good I'm in bed by 9:45. 
 I feel that there IS an amount of "leveling out" that a body has to go through while adjusting to the fact it is not producing any estrogen and progesterone and possibly that is contributing to some of my symptoms.  My surgeon tells me that all of the estrogen and progesterone should be out of my body 8 weeks post surgery.  Who knows- maybe it will be a relatively smooth transition.  I feel at peace knowing I have my 2 doctors, that practice 2 very different styles of medicine, available for help if I need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment