Monday, January 9, 2012

Post Surgery 2 1/2 weeks

 There is a lot of spelling that goes on in our house with having a 3 and 5 year old around.  Last week I attempted to spell the word sister to my husband like this - c-i-c-t-e-r.  I repeated it 3 times and began to get frustrated at him for not understanding what I was spelling. Hooray! And so it begins my first symptom of menopause-"brain fog".  The lack of estrogen in my body ( and it being surgically induced rather than gradual probably doesn't help) can create symptoms like this one. I know we have probably all had days or moments like this but in my case it has not left me for a week and happens all through the day.  I find it difficult to connect thoughts, come up with words, and focus.  I sometimes can't remember why I got up to move and my short term memory has suffered too.  I did a little research on this and some claim it to be the result of night sweats and lack of sleep but (knock on wood) I have not had those symptoms-it is simply the lack of estrogen. Thank goodness I don't hold a job that requires me to make important decisions or speeches in front of large groups of people.  It has been comical though and I take it all in stride knowing this too will pass.  Hormone replacement therapy in small doses for a short amount of time is an option. There are also homeopathic remedies that I am actually going to explore first. 
Other physical side effects I have noticed on a smaller scale have been headaches,  feeling a little nauseous and light headed.  I have found that tylenol and something light to eat takes care it.  
Yesterday I started to feel anxious and a little irritable.  I could see it coming on and starting to fill my body and mind. Before I lost my "perspective" on things I knew I needed to do something.  I have been feeling good since my surgery and found if I limit heavy lifting, twisting and bending I feel great. So- I decided to go for a jog. I put on my music and jogged for just over 3 miles.  Besides my achey knees it felt great and seemed to do the trick.  I highly recommend exercise for (everyone) but specifically woman going through menopause.  Here's a link that goes in to the benefits of exercise for menopausal woman. http://www.acefitness.org/fitfacts/fitfacts_display.aspx?itemid=91
Overall recovering from this surgery has not been bad. I find if I listen to my body and respect where it is in the healing process than I am good. It's important to call or email your doctor post surgery for any questions or concerns you may have with healing or your emotions.  It's not always a good idea to go on line and see every symptom that may happen during menopause-it can be over whelming and why put symptoms in your head that you may never get. 
One last note- Not being able to pick up, hug, or play with my kids or climb into a bunk bed to read them a book during my recovery has made it even clearer to me that I made the right decision with this surgery. My recovery has only been 2 or so weeks-having cancer and going through treatments would have been a hell of a lot longer.
More on those thoughts later...:)







2 comments:

  1. Thank Hun,for being so brave and strong.The 3 of us love you so much and can`t thank you enough for taking the preventative route.
    Love Teagie , Jord`s & Daddy

    ReplyDelete