Monday, April 29, 2013

2 weeks post surgery and healing well

I wanted to give a quick update since it has been just over  2 weeks since I got out of the hospital. I am happy to say my breast tissue and lymph nodes they biopsied came back clear with no traces of cancer. Three days before my surgery date an MRI confirmed a very small lump on my right breast. I had the choice to put off my surgery (again) and get it biopsied or during the mastectomy I could have a sentinel lymph node biopsy where they remove 1 or 2 lymph nodes and check them for cancer cells.  I chose not to put off my surgery and went ahead to have my lymph nodes checked.  I am a little more sore and stiff on that side and do realize there could be complications from taking lymph nodes but in the end I felt like it was the best decision for me.
 So.... I won't be getting breast cancer!  I'm still processing that I think.  Most of my energy has been about being in the moment with my healing- which is going well.  I'm reminded each morning when I wake up that it's going to take time to heal from the inside out from such a big surgery. So I don't lift much,  I rest a lot,  take my pain meds and have had so much help- (which I am eternally grateful for. ) This part of my journey has felt more like climbing steep hills and reaching plateaus. I may have a few more hills to climb before I reach the end of this journey but thats ok because I feel strong and I can always rest on those plateaus.  I have prepared myself so well like an athlete trains for a race or competition. My mind has been processing this idea then turned descision now for 2 years and I've kept my heart and lungs strong for years with cardio and strength training. When my surgeon came in to check my incisions, she was so pleased.  I looked down through the bandages with her as she held them open to peak. I was surprised how clean and relatively small my incisions were and  thanked her for that. She looked at me and said- that isn't me, that's you taking such good care of yourself for 41 years.  And at that moment even though I had just lost my breasts, was in pain and was hooked up to many tubes and drains and "stuff",  I smiled and new I was going to be ok.









1 comment:

  1. I love you Sharon! You are such an inspiration. Keep on climbing, resting and being just you.

    ReplyDelete